Skip to main content

DIY Tutorial: Dying Lace Trim

Sometimes at Fabric Mart we have a little time to experiment with our fabrics and trims. I spared a few minutes in between tasks to experiment with dying our Venice lace. After yesterday's post my mind was still on lace all morning and I couldn't wait to put our cotton lace to the test. We currently only have a few cotton laces online. But any cotton or rayon lace will do! 
I chose to make my lace trim pink. Because pink and lace is the best thing I could think of!
I first laid a piece of aluminum foil on the table to keep the dye from roaming the table top. I used a paper bowl to mix my color in. I little dye goes a long way! But the cotton will absorb it very quickly. 
I used a dye kit from Charlotte Anne. (The website for Charlotte Anne is apparently no longer available but another fabric dye kit would work just as well. Try your local fabric and craft store.) 
To make the lace pink I pour a small amount of water into my bowl and then added about 5 drops on red dye. I used a paint brush to apply the dye. Using a brush prevented making a big mess but it did cause the dye to be applied unevenly, but it still worked rather well. 
I was having so much fun with this process I then attempted to paint the lace with the dye. I chose to use blue and orange dye for this challenge, blue for the flowers, orange for the leaves and the background. While applying the orange dye the colors ran together and left me with a funky tie-dye look. 
I used these two laces from our online store:
SVE4157 Abstract Pansy Swirl and SVB4129 Floral Scallop Venice Lace SOLD OUT
They are both a cotton/rayon blend.
Now which project from all my inspiration should I pick to use my new lace?! -Kaitlin


Comments

  1. Interesting that you ended up with a 'green' between the blue and the orange! Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made a Fabricista: Classic Holiday Pieces

Happy Saturday Everyone! It seems like forever since I wrote a blog post. The past 2 months have been quite a challenge as I lost my sewjo, creativity, and drive to create. I had so many plans to finish off 2020 strong but my energy level has been at the lowest. In all honesty, I needed this time to reflect and regroup to focus on what matters. Going to work daily in a physical building leaving my children at home to do virtual learning all alone left me feeling guilty.  I made a decision in late October to put a pause on sewing for a few weeks giving my attention to them every chance I get. I have had moments where I broke down hearing other parents cry out for help, but in all honesty, 2020 has drained me the last few months emotionally in so many ways. I knew I had to get out of this slump, not take things too personally, and create a few pieces to lift my spirit before the end of the year. I have been wanting to make the Dionne duster by SewAltered style pattern with a designer Pon

Made by a Fabricista: Velvet Holiday Jumpsuit

Hey friends!  So glad to share one last make with you.  Hope you've enjoyed wonderful holidays, even if they have been a bit different than normal. I'd been wanting to try making Deer & Doe's Sirocco Jumpsuit for a while, but was afraid it wouldn't be flattering on my mom-tum.  I finally got over that with a romper this Summer (oops, never got around to blogging that!) and decided to follow up with a velvet jumpsuit for Christmas! When my hubby saw it he called me an elf.  Bahaha.   But I love it; I even wore it for our Christmas card photos. I used a green stretch velvet I picked up at Fabric Mart a couple of months ago.  The particular deep green velvet I used is sold out now, but I just love these alternatives: Rosewood , Ocean or Obsidian (or you can find even more options here! )  I think the marriage of stretch velvet and this pattern is really excellent! I didn't have to make many pattern alterations:  I often need a full bust adjustment (FBA), but di