Hello lovely peeps! I’m so happy because it’s the time of year I get to say adios to all my winter coats. As I was putting them away for the season I realized that I don’t have any light weight jackets to wear when the weather is not all that. My usual go to when the days and nights are still a little cool is my ratty zip-up hoodie. I’m gladly trading it in for a more stylish bomber jacket.
The pattern is the Rigel Bomber by Papercut Collections. This pattern was released in their Constellation collection last November. FYI: Rigel is the brightest star in the constellation Orion and the seventh brightest star in the night sky. The jacket is unlined has welt pockets and raglan sleeves with two different options, plain sleeves or geometric details.
For my fabric I chose a hot pink polka dot cotton sateen that was featured in Julie’s Picks for the month of March. If you don’t have a Julie’s Picks membership and have been contemplating getting one let me be your enabler. I look forward to my flyer every month (and the box of fabric that will follow shortly after of the picks I’ve ordered). I’ve never been disappointed and will never be without my membership.
I first traced the XXS and made a quick muslin. Not thinking or even reading for that matter, I basted with a 5/8 seam allowance. The jacket was a little snug. I finally picked up the instructions and seen that a 3/8 seam allowance was included in the pattern. So I did some unpicking and basted again with the correct SA. Perfect fit! What a difference 1/4 of an inch can make! It always helps to read your instructions first too. ;) I was super happy no fit adjustments were needed. One thing I should mention to those considering making this jacket is that I’ve seen others comment on the sleeve length and how they are rather short. I have short arms and the sleeves fit perfect. Usually that’s just the opposite for me. I recommend measuring your sleeve length to be sure.
I wish I could say construction was smooth sailing for me but I kind of hit a road block when it came to the welt pockets. I had one of those moments where I read the instructions twenty times and it just was not clicking in my little ol' brain. I stepped away for awhile, got myself a little snack (ice cream it was!) and was ready to roll again. Then it kinndda clicked for me. Well not really but I muddled through it. I think next time I'll approach it a little differently than the instructions by following this video tutorial.
I wanted the inside of my jacket to look just as pretty as the outside so I lined mine in a floral rayon challis. I attached my lining so that all the seams were hidden except for the sleeve hem. No one will see my sleeve hem anyway and I used my serger so the seam looks neat. My facing is hand sewn to the lining with a slip stitch. The more I hand sew the more I find I rather like it. It relaxes me and I was able to knock it out while watching a movie.
Knit ribbing was used for the cuffs, hem and neckline. My ribbing was lightweight and though it works well for the cuffs and bottom hem I think a more stable knit would be nicer for the neckline. This knit tends to get a little floppy by day’s end. The only thing left to talk about is the zipper. A 14-inch separating zipper is needed. Boy oh boy are separating zippers easy peasy to install!!
This jacket was super fun and quick to make up. I’ve got plans for a couple more versions like this fun, bold floral print and a warmer wool version for fall in plaid.
Yes, yes Vito we can go in now for those treats….
Follow Shannon's blog at ShanniLoves.