Skip to main content

Made by a Fabricista: Minoru Jacket Finished!

I'm a little late in posting this, I've had the jacket done for a little while now, but finally had someone to take pictures of it for me and time to write the post. For those of you that missed two tutorials that highlight additions I made to this jacket, check out the following:


And here it is! The Minoru Jacket pattern was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed figuring out the little additions. Since this was my first Sewaholic Pattern, I was not familiar with the sizing. I made a muslin, which you can see in the "adding a front pocket" post. The sizing was closer to my RTW clothing size, ranging between a 10-12. I made size 12 for this pattern because I like to have a little extra room in jackets for the sweaters worn underneath. 



Here you a can see how the pocket looks finished. I wanted to have the cute lining show through, so I created a piping effect on the top of the pockets. I also reinforced thef pockets with very close zig zag stitching. 



As you can see, the pictures were taken on a rainy day. I used a Charcoal Organic Cotton Twill, which can be found in a few colors on our website. The waist has 3" elastic inserted between the front fabric and lining. When purchasing elastic, there were two options I found at our local big box fabric store: knit elastic and pants elastic. The knit elastic was softer and more pliable than the pants elastic. The pants elastic was very stiff and stable. While one would think you should use the pants elastic, I selected the knit elastic. Because the fabric is soft, but sturdy, I felt like it didn't need any more stiffness to it. I wanted the waist to be "moveable." Plus, with the elastic being 3" wide, the knit elastic just seemed like it would feel better around my waist than the pants elastic! 




The lining is a cotton print from Marc Jacobs, no longer available.  To line the sleeves, I used a polyester pongee lining in teal. You can find a range of colors on our website. I hate when my sleeves get stuck in my jacket when I put on or pull off a jacket, so I needed to pick a fabric that would not get caught on my shirt sleeves. 




One of my favorite features of this jacket is the hood. I have never made a jacket with an attached hood so it seemed exciting! It was a great challenge and turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. Plus I lined the hood...accidentally, but it turned out too be a great thing!  Read about it here




There you have it! I would definitely recommend this pattern to intermediate sewers or beginners ready to take it to the next level. 



In my last post I asked for people to share their Minoru Jacket. Amity from Lolita Patterns shared her jacket. Great job, Amity! If you made the Minoru Jacket, we'd still love to see yours! Email fabricmartblog@gmail.com a picture of your jacket!



You here it first!! Fabric Mart will be carrying all of Lolita Patterns line and a select group of patterns from Sewholic Patterns. Watch for more information in February!


Comments

  1. It's a cute jacket and you did such a good job...so did Amity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Really love the fabric in Amity's Jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both jackets are wonderful! And love the lining fabric on your jacket and hood! Very, very nice. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the complements! It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made by a Fabricista: Inspired by Ready to Wear

Do you see cute clothes in stores or online and think to yourself "I can make that!"? It happens to me often! I was a pretty big clothing shopper before I began sewing. And though I still buy clothes when I find a great deal, I usually end trying to recreate the outfit instead of buying. That is what happened with this jumpsuit. This black and white jumpsuit leaped out to me when I was scrolling through the gram. If you know me I love black and white, stripes and jumpsuits, so it's no surprise this was love at first sight.When I saw this Be Stripe Back Jumpsuit by Kiomios I immediately thought of McCalls 8047 as the overall shape is similar. I sewed the bottoms straight from the pattern. Yes, I could've added slant pockets like the inspiration photo, but I didn't want to add any bulk. I did however alter the bodice to achieve the looser fit of the RTW outfit. I made the following changes:added 1" at the center foldadded 2" to the hemadded 1.5" to t…

Made by a Fabricista: Inspired by Athleisure

Hey all!  I hope you are all healthy, happy, and sewing!  With this craziness of CoVID, I figured at some point this school year, I will be quarantined due to exposure to the virus.  To get through that time, I decided to make something unbelievably comfortable and also cute.  Right?  Fabric Mart usually has athletic fabric and when I am in the mood to sew it up, I snatch it up!  I've never, ever been disappointed in this fabric selection.  Here is a link so you can explore.  Activewear selectionThis white and pink I used are active wear, not swimwear.  Using swimwear for clothing might drape a little differently, so try it out prior to your full commitment.  In other words, purchase a bit extra and make a muslin.  It helps!  Let's start with the white top.  It is a very simple design, and I've used this style/pattern numerous times and I knew it would fit.  Because the fabric is so stretchy I used SewkeysE tape at the shoulders, necklines, and hemlines.  My serger made q…