Right now there is a Julie's Pick chambray for sale, but if you're not a member, the really pretty linens are also a perfect fit for a dress like this. I think this striped denim would look lovely with this pattern, as well. :-)
I will say the skirt is super full in this size, and am very glad I didn't cut it the larger size. I think this dress can easily look frumpy if it is too big, so the less "pouf," the better.
Grainline Alder sewalong over at the Grainline blog. I read the entire thing once and then went back multiple times to check I really understood what was meant to be done. The pattern isn't super complicated, but has a few tricky portions, especially with regards to the button placket and the collar. The sewalong has many great images and instructions, and in my opinion, are necessary since the written instructions in the pattern are a bit sparse. I feel like they give just enough to get the pattern done, but they require multiple re-readings to ensure that what is read is really what is meant to be done.
With regards to the button placket, the ONLY place where it is mentioned that you must cut the front dress portion on the left differently than how you cut the right is on the pattern piece itself (and even with that my silly self cut the right not the left, so I now own a female dress with a placket that buttons like men's wear does, with the buttons on the right and the holes on the left, lol). There are no indications you must do this in the instructions in the booklet, so be very careful. If you don't cut the left side (or right, lol) down to the cutting line that is on the pattern piece, then you will end up with uneven fronts. You don't want that. :-)
The pockets are cute, and though they won't hold anything more than a credit card or a couple of dollars, I think this rather plain dress needs the interest there.
I decided to tie a short scarf at the neckline, and I think it looks cute, so I definitely will be purchasing a red bandana before the auction, so I can really add to my theme look. I don't think I'll go so far as to get a cowboy hat, though. Ha.
The buttons I purchased for $5 for 50 from some Amazon seller. It was one of those moments, you sewers all know it...I thought I had exactly the right amount of cute buttons, only to find out I was two short. D'oh. I had exactly two desires, that they be a tarnished gold look, and that they be available next day or two day through Amazon. Both desires were filled, and I think they are utterly perfect for the dress.
this clear double sided fusible stay tape. You apply the tape (1" in width) to the bottom of the skirt with a dry iron, and once the tape cools, you pull the paper backing off. You are then meant to turn up the hem a full inch and fuse the hem with a steaming iron. I chose instead to turn up the hem a half-inch, and fuse it that way (so the 1" is halved, and both sides of the hem have the fusible on it, instead of only one side of the 1" hem having the fusible). This was the easiest hemming job I have ever had. I LOVE this tape, and will always remember to use it on projects like this where the hem is a bit "odd" requiring more of my energy.
The back of the skirt is very long, and hits at the back of my kneecap. The sides go up a bit, and dip back into the front of the dress. I like the style and I think it will be fun to wear both to the auction and later to school (without the boots and bandana, of course).
Okay, that's it! I am so glad I was able to share this make with you this month. I had a blast making it, and cannot wait to wear it later this month for real!
I'll talk with you all again in June!
Dina of My Superfluities.