Hey there! It's been a while, but I'm Jess, and I'm back with some more maternity-able garment delight for you.
When planning this project I originally had another pattern in mind; the Butterick 6301 maternity and baby wearing coat. But once I got this beautiful cashmere/wool coating in my hands, I felt like the silhouette of the coat just didn't do it justice.
When Vogue released their Holiday 2017 patterns, I saw 9288 and I knew...
...I knew it had to be mine. By that point I'd already gotten the fabric for the coat, and by some sewing miracle I had JUST enough to make the medium length cape (3 3/4 yards, which is exactly what view B calls for with 60" fabric). Destiny, amirite?
But, a cape? In cold, cold Wisconsin? Is that really a good choice? We'll just say I'm often way too practical in my sewing and I have wanted to try sewing a cape for YEARS, but the thought of time put into a not-oft-worn garment has always stopped me.
That said, I'd heartily argue that the silhouette of a cape is the perfect baby bump accompaniment. Plus, with where the closures end at this cape (just below bust on me) it can be easily worn belted or not, regardless of your midsection's current state!
In a nutshell: I used my pregnancy as an excuse to make this wonderment happen. Practicality be damned!
If this fabric looks familiar, it's because it is! Ann made a beautiful duffle coat with it. It's a dusty purple Armicale wool/cashmere blend that is quite deliciously soft and has a wonderful drape. It's currently sold out, but you can find some alternatives here.
And, what do I think of the finished product? It's a little cumbersome to get on and off, with all of the buttons. And, it's a little hard to use one's arms even with a front opening that high and generous. This is a show-cape y'all.
Those specks on my cape? Not lint; it was lightly snowing as I took these photos.
But, I do enjoy the drama of it. It's so far from my typical wheelhouse. I mean, how do you not do this when you're wearing a cape?
I had originally planned to line the cape with a "warm" winter lining that I purchased for another project, but with only 2 yards on hand, it just wasn't enough. I think I could've squeaked by with 2 1/2 yards to line, but alas it was not meant to be.
In an effort to make it look nice on the inside still, I decided to finish my seams with pre-made bias tape. Not as nice as I could've made myself, but my time and energy is at a premium these days. I used the tape on every seam and also the hem, to the tune of four packages: about 16 yards of bias tape. Mama mia!
And there it is...one picturesque lavender cape, one 3/4 baked baby, and a whole lotta glorious cashmere blend warmth.
Thanks for reading! Until our next sewing adventure...