I am just one month away from my due date and this week I am working on getting my hospital bag ready and wrapping up any loose ends to be best prepared for when baby arrives.
I made a receiving blanket with a beautiful blue seersucker on one side and a soft flannel on the other side. It is such an easy DIY and I documented the steps to took to make this super simple DIY. Then I could not stop myself and made a second one with this fishbone embroidered seersucker.
Arent these so cute?
Here is what the flannel side looks like, which is soft and would face the babe
This is how I made the blanket:
I started with one yard of this seersucker fabric and this flannel fabric. The flannel is a shirting fabric. It is so soft and thick enough to be perfect for the blanket.
Step 1: I folded the fabric selvage to selvage, chopped it off along the fold and used one piece, and then trimmed down the edges to make sure it was a rectable with straight edges. I cut the seersucker fabric first using its lines as a guide. Then I used the seersucker as a template to cut out the flannel.
Step 2: Placing the right sides of the fabric together, I sewed along all the 4 sides, leaving a 4 inch opening to easily be able to turn the blanket inside out (see bottom right of blacnket). I'll show this with the second blanket as it was a smaller cut and easier to photograph
Step 3: I turned the blacket right sides out, gave the blanket a good overall press, neatly tucking in the seam allowance on the 4 inch opening.
Step 4: I topstitched with a decorative stitch. In the process, I closed up the 4-inch opening. I have to tell you that my domestic machine does not get a lot of use, but I have a makeshift studio set up in my closet at the moment. It's hard to get into my studio these days, which is in the basemement.. so my brother machine is getting lots of attention!
Love the top stitching.. so cute!
I tested out a few decorative stitches before deciding on this one!
That is it for my latest DIY! The royal blue thread was already in my machine from this other sewing project I just completed a few days ago, my maternity dress for family pictures.... so that worked out perfectly. I am really digging all shades of blue lately.
I hope that you enjoyed reading this little DIY project of mine. I am going to attempt one more project, a robe/ duster before the baby arrives! I have the most beautiful emerald green damask fabric picked out for that! I'll be working on that fairly soon.
-Vatsla from Fashion Behind The Seams