Skip to main content

Sew Along: Winter Coat Update: Sewing the Good Fabric

Last weekend I made a big dent in the progress of my Burberry-inspired winter coat. There is not a lot to report back on, but I will highlight a few little things that I did to enhance the coat.

- Did you ever use tailor's tacks? I'm sure many of you know this little trick, but I felt the need to share it in case some of you don't know about it! My mother taught me how to use these and they are one of the best ways to mark your fabric. I don't care for using chalk marks because it always seems like they disappear by the time I get to that section of a garment.

Thread a needle with a contrasting thread. Make sure to meet the ends of the thread. This is a good time to use threads that you hardly use, or old threads that may be too brittle to use in your sewing machine. (I have some of these inherited from my grandmother.) Then poke the needle through the pattern paper and all layers (good fabric, lining, etc.) leaving about 6-7 inches on the top of your stack. Then poke the needle up through stack and pull the needle through. Make sure you have two tails of 6-7 inches. Pull off the pattern paper. Starting at the bottom of your stack, pull apart each section leaving an even amount of thread between the sections. Cut the threads so that you have a tack attached to each piece. (If you leave your threads a little longer, you could even tie the threads in a loose knot to prevent them from falling out.) Now all your pieces are marked! It takes a little longer, but I feel is worth it.

You can see my tailor tacks on this sleeve section.
 
- While fusing interfacing on all the necessary pieces, I fused a 3" piece of lightweight fusible interfacing and placed it along the bottom edge of the hem and hem on your sleeves. This creates a crisp hem when you press the hem up rather than a "baloon-like" hem. I will take a picture of the finished hems when the coat is finished. Here is a picture of the interfacing along the hem of the sleeve. 

 

- I decided to add flannel to the inside of my coat to make it even warmer. Rather than basting it all in place, I used 505 Spray and Fix by Odif USA. I use it all the time for holding pieces together. It is temporary, but fairly strong and does not ruin your fabric. It also does not gum up your needle which is a HUGE plus for me. After it was attached I cut approximately 1/2 inch from all edges of the flannel to reduce the bulkiness in the seams.

 
 
Here is a picture of a section I was VERY happy when all the plaids matched. At this point I was matching the side seams and creating the pockets.


Next post I'm hoping to share with you more interesting things! I should have the entire coat constructed at that point. Happy Holidays!
~ Julie
 
 
 


Comments

  1. it is really fun to watch your progress. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about this 606 Spray and Fix. Where do you usually get yours? Does a can generally last long - or do you have to lather on the spray to get any results? One more thing -- do you use a particular interfacing for the hems?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pegsewer- Thanks! I am soooo close to being finished at this very moment. I can't wait to share!

    @Jenny - I use the 505 Spray and Fix. There are a few "number" sprays from the brand. I've actually gotten it at a local quilt shop in our area, but I think I've seen it at Joann Fabrics. I don't lather on the spray, it seems to hold fairly well by just a wisk of the can over the fabric. As for the interfacing---I used a fusible weft interfacing as the interfacing on the hem. I would say that any light-medium weight fusible interfacing would be fine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made by a Fabricista: Velvet Holiday Jumpsuit

Hey friends!  So glad to share one last make with you.  Hope you've enjoyed wonderful holidays, even if they have been a bit different than normal. I'd been wanting to try making Deer & Doe's Sirocco Jumpsuit for a while, but was afraid it wouldn't be flattering on my mom-tum.  I finally got over that with a romper this Summer (oops, never got around to blogging that!) and decided to follow up with a velvet jumpsuit for Christmas! When my hubby saw it he called me an elf.  Bahaha.   But I love it; I even wore it for our Christmas card photos. I used a green stretch velvet I picked up at Fabric Mart a couple of months ago.  The particular deep green velvet I used is sold out now, but I just love these alternatives: Rosewood , Ocean or Obsidian (or you can find even more options here! )  I think the marriage of stretch velvet and this pattern is really excellent! I didn't have to make many pattern alterations:  I often need a full bust adjustment (FBA), but di

Made by a Fabricista: A colorful trench to bring in Spring

Do you ever sew projects that are seasonally inappropriate?  That's where I'm living today.  There's literal snow on the ground, the winter winds are making our mild days icy and I reach for...linen?! Seems crazy, but when I saw this linen/cotton print , I had visions of a happy trench coat snow be danged. I'm quite a fan of making jackets in general (like my favorite silk jacket here ), and trench coats have a special place in my heart.  As I was planning this one, I went through my closet and realized this would be trench coat #5--all different styles, all widely different fabrics from a sheer embroidered organza to a linen appliqued trench coat to one made from crazy patchwork upcycled denim .  But trench coat I can't quit you with all your lovely buttons and luxurious lining. So trench #5 it would be for this project! So much interfacing When this delicious linen arrived, I noticed it was a little lighter weight than other linen/cotton blends I've worked w