Skip to main content

Made By a Fabricista: The Final Draft

Here we are again with my attempt at sewing a bra!
I didn't feel so successful in  my first attempt and was a bit discouraged.
But I'm willing to give it another shot.

For my final draft fabric I chose an activewear knit and used the stretch lace again.
I also have a bit of nude soft elastic I found in our brick and mortar shop in Sinking Spring that I will use.
All of my supplies are from Fabric Mart.
View some of our activewear knits here: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/Active-Wear-Knit/
Look for Stretch Laces in our lace section: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/Lace-fabrics/
Before cutting on my "good pieces of scrap fabric" I took another look at the PDF pattern.
I marked each piece with what it was since after cutting out the pattern, I lost some important information which led to me getting terribly confused and eventually took a long extended break from sewing the bra.
I then traveled back to the Ohhh Lu Lu blog and followed her pictures on how to form the cups.
Very helpful! I don't know why I wasn't doing this before!
 I was still nervous about adding the cup but I  heavily utilized her blog to assist.
Visit here blog how-to on forming cups and inserted padding: http://www.ohhhlulu.com/2012/08/ginger-swimsuit-sew-along-assembling.html

 I was surprised how easy it actually was to put in the bra cups.  I had to redo them a couple times until they set in correctly. You basically have to hold the cups to your chest to get them in the right position, which looks rather awkward, but it works!
 I sewed a quarter inch seam allowance around the cup pulling the knit out so it would lay smoothly.
It took a total of about 5 minutes to actually get the cups in and about 7 weeks of me worrying. Ha!

Now I'm ready to finish up the bra! Just need to attach straps, elastic, and sew it all together!
A little tip to attaching the lower bra portion: stretch your knit slightly to get the point to line up to the point in the center.

 I also started sewing the elastic to the undies. I was quite worried about this too, but it is also surprisingly easy! I just pinned, sewed, and the tucked under, and sewed again!


Almost there!
Be back soon to show you the finished product!

Happy Sewing!
Kaitlin


Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made By A Fabricista: Summer Brunch looks just in time for Mother’s Day

Happy First Friday of May! I am truly excited that I have 22 more work days left before the summer break.  This school year has been a roller coaster ride and I have enjoyed some high moments and dealt with some low ones in between.  I wanted to start my summer looks early and decided to focus on looks I can wear when I visit Jamaica or other tropical places. These looks made are both great for Sunday brunch as well. This set is my first faux romper for this year and I love the fact that I can rock it as separates. When I came across this yellow graphite gray polyester fabric , I knew it was perfect for summer.  To top it off, I found the perfect matching earring from Purple Paradise Studio in lime (Rise stud in lime) and knew I wanted a chic summer faux romper set.  I decided to hack  McCalls 7943 dress pattern and create another top.  I have made it several times as I truly love it and plan to use this pattern as one of the beginner patterns for my summer sewing class. I have made it

Made By A Fabricista: The Summer Blues

People often speak of the “Winter Blues”, but today I bring you the “ Summer Blues ”, and it is all good news. Most people don’t think of blue as a summer color but personally for me any color is Summer ready depending on the style and fabric. The moment I seen this Polyester Lycra Diagonal Plaid Stripe Print DTY Knit (SYB8432) I knew I wanted to make something fun for the hot weather to come. I love the Navy/Black/Powder White mix of colors and prints all in one designed fabric. This DTY Knit is made up of 96% Polyester and 4% Lycra with a 4 Way Stretch. It has just the right amount of stretch but yet not too much to make it difficult to work with. If you used a pattern not calling for stretch fabric you definitely want to make adjustments when choosing your size.   With the different patterns in this fabric and made cutting it a breeze because I actually misjudged the amount of fabric, I needed but was able to cut the bodice in one direction and the skirt in another. That’s what I

Made By A Fabricista: Playing with Stripes

Have you ever made a garment that you concluded was a skill builder?  The pattern, the fabric, the technique all taught you something?  Well this post is all about the skills I learned or improved on with this dress.   First let’s start with the fabric.  We got stripes.  Stripes can be used in fun ways to create a lot of visual effects.  When I got this rayon challis from Fabric Mart I didn’t really know what exactly I was going to do with it.  I ran through a list of patterns I already had and none of them quite fit.  I knew going in I was going to have to match up the stripes at least on the sides of whatever I made but I did quite know what was in store for me with the pattern I ended up picking out.  Now let's get to the pattern. Deer and Doe is one of my favorite pattern companies.  They have nice classic silhouettes that I feel work well with my body and frame.  I wanted a new pattern though so I went on the hunt for what I thought would be a simple design.  Boy was I surpri