Monday, August 15, 2016
Summer of T-Shirts: Making a Tee a Dress! (McCall's 6917/New Look 6097 Mash-up!)
Above is the dress I made using a tee pattern and mashing it up with a favorite skirt portion from a dress pattern.
McCall's 6917 and New Look 6097 worked well enough that it is at least a really similar-looking sister. The blackberry dress has more ease through the top, and the bands are different. The skirt is a very very close match, though.
The fabric is the best, and I was so excited to see that Fabric Mart had it. It is a 100% cotton jersey in a fun print called Sunshine Serenade. It really is colored like sunshine, and I personally see flamingos frolicking in the tidepools of Florida. (Does anyone else see flamingos? Tell me I'm not alone!)
I wear a whole host of jersey dresses in the late summer (and early summer/late spring) during the school year, but I have VERY few that I have made myself. I am so thrilled with how this dress turned out that I have a desire to churn out a few more of this exact mash-up this school year. I could even see one in a wool jersey that I could layer over long-sleeved tops and tights.
One last view, this time from the back. I may choose to lengthen the skirt in future makes, but it isn't so short that I can't wear it to school, so that's good. :-)
I chose to use a girls pattern for a tee for my t-shirt dress for a few reasons:
1. The shorter back length in this tee is meant for girls who have shorter torsos. I have the same torso length as a 14/16 girl (I used size 14 here)! Another reason this length is great is that dress bodices are shorter by nature, as the length below the waist is unnecessary as the waistband of the skirt matches the waist of the top (unless the dress is a drop waist). With a girls tee, the amount that needs to be shortened is much less!
2. The ease through the bust is fine for my smaller bustline. Though I like the ease of the blackberry bodice, it is a lot in comparison to the skirt. That is partly design, but also partly ease meant for ladies "my size" who have much larger cup sizing. The excess ease is usually caught by their larger bustlines, but I find all that extra fabric ends up pooling about at the waistband, so if I can reduce ease in the bodice, I will. :-) I see there is a bit of pooling at the back in the photo above, but I see that as a reduction of pooling in my other tee dresses, so I'll take it!
3. This tee pattern is very basic, so I knew that I could add bands to the sleeves easily, and I also knew that the facings would be a lovely finish (I don't mind binding at the neckline, but I think a facing looks so nice and tidy!).
Making this girls tee work with the skirt wasn't a challenge, but I did have to take a few steps to ensure all the markings and seam lines would come together properly. The collage above shows the steps I took to match up the skirt and bodices. Once done and cut, all the pieces did come together very well, so I will no longer fear the mash-up of skirts and bodices! I especially love this skirt (seriously magical!), so I would like to use it with other style bodices in the future.
I ended up doing the above in the collage, but I chose to sew up the shoulder seams first (but not the side seams) of the back and front bodices. After I sewed up both shoulder seams, I sewed my sleeve bands together (I used a 5/8" seam allowance) and did the process above. After the process was done, I then serged up the side seams of the bodice, and from there could continue the dress construction (as laid out in the New Look 6097 directions).
You can do what I did or what I explain in the collage, both will work fine. The ultimate goal though is a very slim contrast hem band. :-)
Okay, I hope you all have a great day! Enjoy your last days and weeks of summer (depending on where you live, of course--we definitely have weeks to go).
~Dina, My Superfluities