Skip to main content

Made by a Fabricista: Snakeskin Faux Jumpsuit


 Animal print is almost always in style, but this fall it's especially on trend! I've got plenty of cheetah/leopard print makes, but nothing in snakeskin so when I saw this cream and black double brushed polyester (DBP) knit I had to have it. In addition to the print I love the feel of DBP, it's so soft, doesn't hold wrinkles and holds up to multiples washes! This fabric is sold out, but they have plenty of other double brushed knits online.


I recently added a few (read: several) patterns to my collection thanks to an annual sale hosted by the local American Sewing Guild. This was totally accidental as I was there to donate fabric and patterns NOT buy. LOL Anyway in that lot of patterns was Vogue 8738 (OOP). I grabbed it thinking it was a jumpsuit, but its actually two pieces which is almost better as I need more separates. Though I'm not sure when this was printed it has a 90's vibe and the 90s are making a comeback (whether we like it or not!) so I snagged this pattern.


I had an idea for a snakeskin jumpsuit early in the summer, though at that time I was envisioning a challis. So I searched my collection for a knit jumpsuit and remembered V8738, which was even better because separates would obviously get more wear especially in a bold print like this one.

Both pieces are quick sews. The tank is just three pieces; the draped front, the pleated back yoke and the lower back. One odd thing to note is that the edges of the back yoke are never finished according the instructions as you finish off the rest of the armhole prior to attaching it. I simply folded over and sewed a narrow hem. Next time I will attached the three pieces and then hem everything. Another thing I'll added next time is fusible hem tape, this DBP or any stretchy knit is easy to stretch while hemming so the stability would have been nice.



The pants are even easier as they have just two pieces, the leg and the waistband. However because the leg pieces is both the front and back leg combined it is a large piece and I had to cut it on the floor. There were no finished measurement so I cut the largest size, a 18. I ended up taking it in a bit more at the front and back crotch since there are no side seams. Next time I will cut a 16 or even a 14 with a stretchier knit like this DBP. I would also add about 2 inches to the hem, although I feel these are designed to hit at the ankle.



Although I admit the two pieces together might be a bit much, I promise you that it is incredibly comfortable. This brushed poly is so soft it's like wearing pajamas. I do think that the belt is necessary to pull of this outfit. Additionally the top is more wearable than the pants, as the pants can conger up images of 90s "hammer pants". Still I truly don't think the pants are that bad as the drape is in the front leg instead of the crotch.

Which look is your fave?

See you next month

Tiffany
Tipstitched

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made by a Fabricista: Inspired by Ready to Wear

Do you see cute clothes in stores or online and think to yourself "I can make that!"? It happens to me often! I was a pretty big clothing shopper before I began sewing. And though I still buy clothes when I find a great deal, I usually end trying to recreate the outfit instead of buying. That is what happened with this jumpsuit. This black and white jumpsuit leaped out to me when I was scrolling through the gram. If you know me I love black and white, stripes and jumpsuits, so it's no surprise this was love at first sight.When I saw this Be Stripe Back Jumpsuit by Kiomios I immediately thought of McCalls 8047 as the overall shape is similar. I sewed the bottoms straight from the pattern. Yes, I could've added slant pockets like the inspiration photo, but I didn't want to add any bulk. I did however alter the bodice to achieve the looser fit of the RTW outfit. I made the following changes:added 1" at the center foldadded 2" to the hemadded 1.5" to t…

Made by a Fabricista: Inspired by Athleisure

Hey all!  I hope you are all healthy, happy, and sewing!  With this craziness of CoVID, I figured at some point this school year, I will be quarantined due to exposure to the virus.  To get through that time, I decided to make something unbelievably comfortable and also cute.  Right?  Fabric Mart usually has athletic fabric and when I am in the mood to sew it up, I snatch it up!  I've never, ever been disappointed in this fabric selection.  Here is a link so you can explore.  Activewear selectionThis white and pink I used are active wear, not swimwear.  Using swimwear for clothing might drape a little differently, so try it out prior to your full commitment.  In other words, purchase a bit extra and make a muslin.  It helps!  Let's start with the white top.  It is a very simple design, and I've used this style/pattern numerous times and I knew it would fit.  Because the fabric is so stretchy I used SewkeysE tape at the shoulders, necklines, and hemlines.  My serger made q…