Skip to main content

Made a Fabricista: Classic Holiday Pieces


Happy Saturday Everyone! It seems like forever since I wrote a blog post. The past 2 months have been quite a challenge as I lost my sewjo, creativity, and drive to create. I had so many plans to finish off 2020 strong but my energy level has been at the lowest. In all honesty, I needed this time to reflect and regroup to focus on what matters. Going to work daily in a physical building leaving my children at home to do virtual learning all alone left me feeling guilty.  I made a decision in late October to put a pause on sewing for a few weeks giving my attention to them every chance I get. I have had moments where I broke down hearing other parents cry out for help, but in all honesty, 2020 has drained me the last few months emotionally in so many ways. I knew I had to get out of this slump, not take things too personally, and create a few pieces to lift my spirit before the end of the year.

I have been wanting to make the Dionne duster by SewAltered style pattern with a designer Ponte knit from Fabric Mart I have been holding on to for over a year and decided to make a wearable muslin using this rib polyester/rayon/lycra rib sweater knit.  

In all honesty, I thought this weight would have been perfect but feel it is way too lightweight for this length and style. Using a thicker knit or Ponte knit would be perfect as I could rock it as a sweater dress or duster. The next time I make it, I will definitely use a Ponte knit instead.

I modified the Dionne duster pattern by adding 4 inches to the length and graded it from the size 10 waist to the 12 hips. The next time I make it, I will just cut a straight 10 and remove the 4 inches I added, and cut the view closest to calf length. 

Have you ever failed at making a look and decided to give it a try again? Well, that is exactly what happened with this tropical jumpsuit using a muted cherry red cotton shirting fabric.  



Two years ago I mashed the infamous Vogue 9253 bodice with a jumpsuit pants pattern and it was an epic fail. I did not measure or make adjustments to the bodice or pants pattern and the fit was horrible. With time comes experience and I finally understood the changes needed when mashing 2 different patterns to make a dress or jumpsuit. I am absolutely in love with the fit and definitely can't wait to rock this jumpsuit on my next island vacation.

Here are some tips:

1. Measure - Check bodice length and adjust top or pants accordingly for a better fit. I did use my favorite jumpsuit pattern (M8009) I made here as a guide and adjusted the bodice of V9253 accordingly by adding 1.5 inches to the length so that I would not make any adjustments to the pants pattern that I have used before.

2. Align and adjust darts, seamlines, and or pleats if necessary and measure and compare the distance to ensure that everything lines up. Even though I did not have to do any alignment for the pants as it is gathered, I have done this in the past using the skirt portion of Vogue 9253 and another fitted bodice pattern here.

3. Make a muslin if necessary before cutting into your fashion fabric. Make adjustments if needed.

I am excited that I am officially on my 2 weeks holiday break and will be taking some time to recharge and reset. 2020 has been a year of adjustments and learning and I pray that 2021 will be a year of growth for me.  Be sure to stop by my Instagram page to see my last make back in October.  


Thank you for the love and support over the years and following my journey. I hope and pray that you have a wonderful and safe holiday with your loved ones. 


One Love,

Marica - https://www.maricamitchell.com











Comments

  1. Love both your projects. Can’t wait to see what you do with this pattern in the ponte. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Prayers that next year will get us to a better place than 2020 brought us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see that shirting made up into a fabulous jumpsuit. I have been eyeing it for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen that fabric several times and could not visualize it made into a garment. It looks nice as a jumpsuit, you did a fantastic job, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! All comments are reviewed before posting to help us eliminate spam. Your comment will be posted within 24 hours.

Popular Posts You Might Like

Made by a Fabricista: Velvet Holiday Jumpsuit

Hey friends!  So glad to share one last make with you.  Hope you've enjoyed wonderful holidays, even if they have been a bit different than normal. I'd been wanting to try making Deer & Doe's Sirocco Jumpsuit for a while, but was afraid it wouldn't be flattering on my mom-tum.  I finally got over that with a romper this Summer (oops, never got around to blogging that!) and decided to follow up with a velvet jumpsuit for Christmas! When my hubby saw it he called me an elf.  Bahaha.   But I love it; I even wore it for our Christmas card photos. I used a green stretch velvet I picked up at Fabric Mart a couple of months ago.  The particular deep green velvet I used is sold out now, but I just love these alternatives: Rosewood , Ocean or Obsidian (or you can find even more options here! )  I think the marriage of stretch velvet and this pattern is really excellent! I didn't have to make many pattern alterations:  I often need a full bust adjustment (FBA), but di