And so I did it.
The fabric I used was a striped ITY knit from Maggy London. I've had the fabric in my stash for about a year and had a shift style dress in mind from the day I laid eyes on this print! The colors also reminded me of Lilly -- bright and cheerful, but also sophisticated! Did you get a piece of this fabric last year? Although it is sold out, you can find many other ITY knits on our website.
I also knew that since it is a striped print, matching the stripes would be key! But before I worried about that, I had to worry about stripe placement. The stripes are various sizes and I wanted the stripes to hit me in the most flattering place. On the photo above, you can see there are two large stripes -- green background with blue print and blue background with green print. I used my mannequin to decide the best placement of the stripes. The larger stripes were best placed below my hips, as to not bring more attention to that area. The small stripes all worked out really well from the bust line through the hips. And the large blue stripe was placed at the shoulders.
I wanted to keep with a high neckline (almost boatneck,) so I cut the neckline to my liking, not following the pattern. I used techniques I learned in the Pretty Peplum Top Sew Along to finish off the neck.
And with vacation just two weeks away, I'm definitely going to be wearing this dress to dinner on a fun-filled Caribbean vacation!