A little while back, Fabric Mart had the most adorable elephant printed cotton fabric available, and even though I wasn't 100% sure of what I wanted to make with it, I figured it would go fast, so I took a chance and purchased three yards of it, knowing I could likely make three yards work for something!
After receiving it, and seeing all the ridiculous craziness that came with the Target/Lilly Pulitzer collaboration, I decided I *had* to make a Lilly inspired dress from this fabric AND because it is pink and green, I knew that if I didn't make a dress for my daughter from the same fabric, I would never hear the end of it. ;-)
My biggest proof, though? This pin from Pinterest which shows the fabric close up. It was pinned by none other than the folks at Lilly Pulitzer. The fabric was named "Forgot My Trunks," lol.
So yahoo! I ended up with fabric from my favorite fabric store that made my dream of making mommy and me Lilly Pulitzer dresses a reality, literally!
(And, psst, it looks like something *like* "Roar of the Jungle"
I had some of this trim in my stash, and it was the exact right shade of white to perfectly work with this fabric.
especially from her beginnings, when her hemline choices were a bit longer (they are super short today, especially for the women's line), and she featured more of a classic shift shape as opposed to some of her current pieces, which hug the body's curves more.
In fact, they only way I ended up getting my Lilly dress was from a consignment store, since most of the time Lilly dresses are too loose at the bust and too tight at the hips. The consignment store owner and I speculated that the size 10 dress I purchased had been altered at the shoulders and bust since all of the women who came in the shop and tried the dress on couldn't wear it because it was too tight at the bodice, when the size 10 normally fits them well. More than likely, someone with my pear shape purchased the right size for her hips, but paid someone to fix the bodice to better fit her smaller upper body. :-) Well, turns out I can do that too with sewing my own garments!
I love how the lace looks with the split neckline. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, I was really concerned it would look to "becky home-ecky," but in the end, I think it looks close enough to the "real thing" that the trim is more successful. It also helps that the trim is a bit thicker (1.5 inches width) and made from cotton crochet lace, which is less transparent than other lacy trims out there.
Butterick 5876, which goes from size 1-6. My daughter can wear a size 6 very easily, but often the length is too short, so I will have to size up to a 7. This time that happened, but because of the shape of the dress and the season, it's okay that it is a touch shorter than her other dresses. We will probably let her wear it with leggings to church, too.
I chose this dress because it had a built in place for the crochet trim embellishment, at the junction between the border hem and the main part of the dress. Though I didn't end up doing the border hem detail, I was able to use that seam line to mark where the trim should be placed, and it ended up being perfect! I may love her dress more than mine!
And just in case this inspired you to try it for yourself, above are some vintage Lilly Pulitzer dresses that I found while doing my research. I already feel inspired to try another set of dresses soon!
~Dina of My Superfluities.